Careful diagnosis by a physician makes targeted treatment possible.
If you feel that you have been losing more and more hair recently, you should consult an experienced dermatologist. He or she can correctly assess whether you are suffering from a form of hair loss requiring treatment and recommend the therapy suitable for you.
The following questions will help you prepare for your doctor’s visit. The more accurately you can describe your hair loss and current living conditions, the easier the doctor can reach the correct diagnosis.
- Start and progression of hair loss
- In which areas did you first notice the hair loss?
- Have you noticed seasonal fluctuations?
- What do you believe are the triggers of your hair loss?
Has your hair fallen out or broken off?
Does the shed hair look the same at both ends? If so your hair has probably broken off rather than fallen out.
From which areas of the scalp does hair fall out?
- Back of head
- Entire head
- Other areas, specify:
Does your scalp itch or do you suffer from excessive dandruff?
Have you noticed other changes in your scalp?
Have you chemically altered your hair?
- Permanent wave
Do you have relatives (parents, siblings, grandparents, etc.) who also suffer from hair loss?
If so, which relatives and which type of hair loss?
Diseases and medications
- Which acute illnesses have you had in the last 12 months?
- Which medications did you take for these?
- Do you suffer from any underlying illnesses/chronic illnesses?
- Are you on any long-term medications?
Have you experienced professional and/or personal stress or upset in recent months?
Have you recently undergone a period of hormonal change?
- Starting or changing the pill, etc.
- If you changed pill, when?
- If you started taking the pill, when?
- If you stopped taking the pill, when?
- Do you suffer from menstrual cycle irregularities?
- If you are pregnant, how many weeks along are you?
- If you have miscarried, when?
- Are you breastfeeding or have you been breastfeeding?
Have you gained or lost a lot of weight?
Have you been dieting in the last 12 months?
Have you ever counted the number of hairs you are losing per day?
Please record the number of hairs you are losing per day. To obtain a reliable figure, you should ideally perform this count each day for one week.
Have you ever been treated for hair loss before?
Which medications (prescription/doctor-recommended, etc.) did you take?
How do you care for your hair?
Please list your hair care products such as shampoo, rinse, conditioner, gel, hairspray, combs/brushes.
Here you can view and download the questionnaire on hair loss!